Friday 7 August 2009

Of unfair questions and unholy books

A common question in interviews with celebrities, A-list or not, is one I believe to be the world's most unfair one. You know it, the one about what book you're reading now. I for one have had numerous moments where after reading an epic, I need a brain-break and settle for some nefariously childish or immaturely crass literature. And having a question like that thrown at me at that moment would elicit a Simpsonian 'Doh!'. I am coming to the end of Salman Rushdie's Midnight's Children, a novel which to read is to dig your nails into your backbone and crack your ribs, yes, excruciating, and after this I am going to read another modern classic, Catch 22. If there was a better time to do interviews, I can't think of one. I once was answering a interview questionnaire for a job vacancy when I was reading Richard Dawkin's The God Delusion. It was for a Malaysian bank, so I could not possibly write the truth, but it was a book that pushed me from being a liberal Catholic to full-on agnosticism, and nearly-there atheism. Yes, it did influence me a lot, but yet I am searching for more. Which is why I don't think losing God over one book is particularly intelligent. And is why I do not respect people who quote Dawkins in justifying their liberally cool non-beliefs. Its like the people who claim they are serious readers when their favourite books are by Sophie Kinsella or the Chicken Soup series. Long way to go, like the song.

No comments: