Monday 20 October 2008

its a who-i-am thing

My sister and I had dinner in our grandparent's house; and for the first time I asked my grandma where she was born. We speak in English, though my mother tongue is Malayalam, and she says she was born in India. I never knew, thought that she was born in Malaysia. Tonight, I officially declare myself a second-generation Malaysian-born Malaysian.

Apart from that, I found out that she arrived with her parents on 11 August 1957, the date on which I was born exactly 30 years later. She had come for a defined reason: to get married. My grandfather, she said, had come to Malaysia 10 years before, to work. He was a government servant, I recall from memory, last working in the agriculture department. He's a story on his own.

The next time I see her, I am gonna ask if its possible for us to go back to where we came from. I have read and heard in many places that that is exactly what I should do. A little hard, considering I embarrassingly can't speak my mother tongue, being bilingual, and the fact that I do not have an international passport; plus the fact that I truly have tertumpah darah di tanahairku.

I just watched a teen flick called Its a Boy-girl Thing.
I swear off mindless movies, and have had the misfortune of having to sit through quite a few stupid teen flicks since the last one I liked: 10 Things I Hate About You. But this was a good movie with a real sort of heartiness. And to think it was executive produced by Sir Elton John.

No comments: